Friday, October 23, 2015

Jessie J backing vocalist inspiration - Gotta Be True to Yourself



There's a pureness in their voices I can not put into words and from I first heard this - I was enamored and played it like 50 times - no breaks! And they inspired this....

Days seem a haze
lack luster
lost the glaze
dreams replaced
by issues faced
monetarily no gain
sense lapsed
loved a fool, fool left
the only thing that went right
hardened by love loss
lovers lied
could fill stadiums with tears cried
tried to change
built a wall...
       but I urge you
let it crumble
let it fall
you were meant to be
strong
not stone
don't let hardships in life
crush your soul
you were meant to be
the best version
       of who you are

I've heard this song before, and I loved it then but it's like the combination of their voices bestowed a gift of clarity right before me.  As most of us often do, in navigation of this crowded yet lonely world, we try to find our footing.

We dream.
We aspire.
We work.

Sometimes it feels like it's going no where. It feels like you're climbing an active volcano with bricks on your back. And just as you feel like those bricks can get no heavier - you are given another load. I understand. I get it. But in order for you to get where you are supposed to be you have to weather this journey. When I discuss my discontent with my best friend sometimes he seems so insensitive. He's like well you know what you want, you have to do it - put in the work. I wanna say shut up and tell me, "there there - you're right. it's okay." However, I understand that sometimes I need to hear those things so I can refocus and just be the best of myself. I can't allow people's actions to dictate who I am or who I become.

I am a work in progress, but I'm not hiring - God's got the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment