Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Angie Says: Here's How I Transitioned

I have to do some mad memory freestyle because I can barely recall being anything but natural.  Butttttt there was a time.
A time long ago when straight hair roamed my scalp.
When I could put my hair in buns with no frizz outs.
When I sat in a salon with the urge to scratch my hair moments before that no lye relaxer.
When the sun shined down on my hair and it could blind my man with it's sheen. Turn to your neighbour and say, I know that's right! :D

Ok....this was requested so I'm gonna try to make it the best I can.

When I transitioned  it was wayyyyy before all these videos and tutorials.  So what worked for me was gelling this sucker every day into a bun.  And no I do not have pictures, grab some Ampro and a sock, roll that sucker up - Bam, style. Yea at the end of the week I was lil itchy, but dirt grow me.

When I got tired of  the bun I rocked some braids.  I never used these edge controls and stuff, I did as I wished, so I looked like a fur ball, on the bright side though I did not have gunk build up on my edges.  (I honestly don't like the edge controls and gels on the perimeter of the braids.)

....that was all I really did when I was weening myself off of relaxer in grade 9.

Tip: Braid your natural hair and put rollers on the straight ends, you can pin up the braids in various ways and let the curls fall.  

Now, I had another time I could recall when I semi transitioned.  That story is coming another time.  But the best advice I can give is make sure keep your hair moisturized so it doesn't break off.  I suggest box braids because it gives you access to your natural hair & they're easy to take out.  Depending on your preference you can do afro kinky extensions - I don't do them because I had them once and started to break so they were taken out after about 2 days.  It could have very well been the braider so another tip is, make sure your hair isn't tight.  Tight = breakage. You can very well gain length but your edges will be stressed.  Make sure they're secure but if you went in Bahamian and exit looking Asian  - it's too tight boo.

Here are some products that I use/d to care for/maintaining braids:

smells delightful, light weight, no residue, $$$, got mine from wholefoods, fairly new to me (like 4 years maybe)
the younger me swore by this stuff, will leave residue on your hair and every where else, good to use when doing twist extensions, no scent, $, also used this to "slick" down my buns, beauty supply store
same concept as it's brother up there but more lightweight, leave less of a residue but still heavy, $, no scent, same uses, beauty supply store
I don't wanna lie - it was one of this I think??
It was years ago I used it though so don't judge me.  But they have some pretty good ones out there so you can check the market and see what works for you. Happy Transitioning.


No comments:

Post a Comment