Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Better Than a Disney Princess

The debate over little black girls having their own Disney princesses to look up to has been hot. For so long our chocolate cuties have been enamoured by roles of Cinderella, Snow White, Belle and Arial to name a few. When the movie "Princess and the Frog" came out in 2009 little black girls of this time could lean a little closer to the screen as Princess Tiana, Disney's first black princess emerged. (I believe the closest we got was Pochantas, released 1995 - another great movieplease listen to my Poca jam https://youtu.be/diQgSDWJL7o) And I could go on for hours about what could have been changed but I won't...I'll just say it was a step in the right direction! 

In 2013, "Frozen" was released and the popularity of this movie was overwhelming and soon shifted Elsa & Anna into children's favourite princesses.  It was easy to fall in love with the icy Elsa and her long flowing braid (Anna's my fav tho) but my youngest niece ------}(this lil puddin pop) touched me deeply when she wanted her hair like Elsa's and her mother did a similar style to appease her but in her eyes, it was too far from Elsa's. It made me upset to know that she was unhappy with her hairstyle. My sis in law explained very well to her though that she can't be just like Elsa, and it's okay to be different. Later I told her I loved her hair, that she was beautiful, and looked wayyyyyy better than Elsa.

All this to say, I was inspired by my honey to be my own version of Elsa, I'm a princess my way. Hopefully every little girl is encouraged to love what she was blessed with. You're unique...enjoy it. You're better than a Disney Princess.

#blackgirlmagic

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tia. It's pro black teachings here (Austin is my real name). I remember you tagging me on this post on Instagram and I like what you wrote here. Our Black children have been taught to hate themselves under the banner of white supremacy and it is ok to be different. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all and you all should cherish that and embrace it unconditionally as black women. Natural hair is a very beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Austin. Thank you for reading. I agree with you, which is precisely why I wrote this piece. I just want every little black girl to know she is enough just the way she was created. It's our job to let them know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome and I also certainly agree with you as well. Our black children are worthy and they most certainly are enough. Black will always be beautiful and our children will always be important.

      Delete
    2. yes sir!! feel free to share this piece as you like.

      Delete