Monday, May 11, 2015

Party Like Ah Boss: Bahamas Junkanoo Carnival

As one of my dates to Junkanoo Carnival weekend said ALL THE TIME:
LISTEN...(just go with it!)

I haven't stayed out until the wee hours in YEARS but despite not being able to feel my legs, and having a hell of a sore throat.  I partied like ah bosssss, and gone home horse (btw bosses be in general too)

Firstly, I wasn't so sure if I'd go however, the Junkanoo Carnival party coaxed me out of my humble abode.  Pure curiosity - Curiosity didn't kill me, but I'm sure maimed.  I had a pre-JC jump off at work Wednesday night. That was cool, a little Junkanoo, even less food - THANKS TOTERS!

On Thursday, after much thinking and rethinking me and my old gal from back in da day decided to head out to the festivities.  Things started off slowly.  One of my school mates I haven't seen in ages asked, "how you enjoying the fair?" I could only laugh - shortly there after another friend walks up and asked, "what is this?"  When the performances started though we couldn't help but to get LOOSE.  Whenever it got too hot the drone flew over our heads and provided much needed breeze. Highlight: Alison Hinds still rolling it and it was awesomeness.

Friday, the most exercise I've had in years - yup gym membership, trainer and all.  The standing was dreadful.  I felt like I never left from Thursday night.  I wore my Nike tennis and looked in awe at the wedged heel wearers. I can't imagine what their feet felt like because with cushion holding me up I nearly didn't survive.

I must mention that everyone from Freddie Munnings to the PM got booed, it caught me off guard but it was funny as hell.  I think it was because of irritation.  Also, Colyn McDonald was amazing - shade like a sky scraper!

What I thought would end my Friday night, Baha-men!!!! They almost take me out.  Though I support them 100% they didn't realize they WERE NOT headliners.  Paul Major must have told them otherwise because dudes were singing songs we knew, songs we didn't know, songs they didn't know.  I was exhausted.  Every time I thought they were leaving, they appreciated us some more with gyration and stuff.  Some people said it was a trade off due to the inability to get payment they wanted but it wasn't my fault.  I shouldn't have to suffer because of poor negotiations.  I mean a lady next to me leaned on her man knocked the hell out - quite possibly a combination of rum, exhaustion and boredom.  For me, standing still hurt too bad so I danced anyway.

We were tired of waiting on Machel Montano.  The disgust was building.  Our minds ran wild: maybe they didn't pay him, maybe he cancelled, ya think he got sick....BUT WHEN HE CAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE; PARTEE DUN! I can honestly say I enjoyed that.  (went on punishment almost instantly for my 5 am return home)

I got no further than the front room - I was done.  So by the time Saturday 11 am rolled around the parade was not even on my radar.  BEC!  I need not elaborate.  So Sunday when my 88 years old grammy was giving me the juice on the parade - I said well look who really partying like ah boss.  Next year, look out for me and my mama on the parade a, lol.

Helpful Tips (to the party planners as Juan McCartney called them, agreed)

1. More garbage bins - I hate litter bugs & don't litter. I had to walk 3 miles to find one friggin garbage bin that was in VIP that they didn't allow us to throw the garbage in.  So I walked 2 more miles to find one hidden behind a bar.

2. Rethink the name - Perhaps it's too late but I don't think the name is well suited.  It was a festival sorta thing with Carnival incorporated one day.  I could be wrong but it doesn't fit.

3. Leave the children at home - I never felt that children need to be out until 1, 2 3 am.  The old saying, "they too forward" has never been so true.  The masses may have found it cute that a 4 year old is dutty whining on stage at 2 am but to me, it's not.  I pray he knows that his mother's name is not mummy.

4. Better entry system - Yall two metal detectors ain ga work! That is all.



Me and Plati-dread, no Kia, I didn't make him up (my forehead always been that big?)


My Lucies - Niquita B (photographer) Kia (passport constructor, lol)

MEEEEEEEEEEEE 

No comments:

Post a Comment