Monday, March 9, 2015

Why Keep Rags

1.
ripping at the seams
like a poorly constructed dress
needle and thread
nor seamstress
can keep us together

we're done

2.
stick a knife in us
burnt to a crisp
charred remains of dedication
we no longer have
the strength to love each other

too weak to stand
the sight of you
makes me ill
to think this love is over
good luck, no luck
no four leaf clover
could help

3.
our cards have been dealt
joker
left me
after you poke her
I lost the game
sucker

Loved too much
you

I pity her
"I do"
to a man
who don't
who won't
who can't
love her like the start of a new day

appreciate her
like sunbeams
on the face of a prisoner
solitary confinement

4.
locked in your love

for decades
clinging to me
like meat
to the bones of the dead
buzzards pick
you're tricked

you Prick
splinter in my finger
small
big enough to hurt
yet
want us mended
pretended
to be what I needed

conceited

5.
concede defeat
at the end of all you can eat
buffet closed
done weighing my pros
you're a con

I'm conscious now

© Tia Clarke 2009

2 comments:

  1. "I pity her
    "I do"
    to a man
    who don't
    who won't
    who can't
    love her like the start of a new day" ....... This was perfect.

    I enjoyed this piece. I felt every line......mostly because it was so relatable and real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Juicy Suzie. I am always looking for some constructive criticism so please continue to read and share. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete